A lot of people find it difficult to connect to their Netgear router while installing it for the first time. It can get a little confusing at times, especially to the people who aren’t tech-savvy. But there are a few problems that persist while installing the device such as IP address issues or it may be that the device you’re using is using a static IP address in which case you will have to find the IP address yourself. Some people might want to reset their Netgear router to its default settings and it might be a little troublesome if you don’t know the default username and password or you’ve forgotten it. Here we will help you cover up all the basics and the related queries to help you set up your router.
Netgear has been providing networking products for a long time and they have made sure that their customers do not find it hard to set up their routers and use it to its maximum potential. A compact disk is provided with the Netgear Router for installation of the same routers but the newer Netgear routers have a much easier installation with the new setup Genie User Interface. Just finish up the installation process with either of the setup processes provided and login to your router. The Netgear routers have two default login IP addresses 126.96.36.199 and 192.168.1.1. Similarly, you can log in to your routers by typing www.routerlogin.com or www.routerlogin.net in the address bar. Newer Netgear routers are configured to use the www.routerlogin.net or www.routerportal.com/ instead of the IP addresses.
Setting up your new Netgear router through a cable/broadband connection
The newer routers are pretty easy to set up thanks to the setup wizard. It makes it very easy for people to follow step by step instructions to set up their router at home. Steps to configure your router for the internet connection through the smart wizard:
1. Connect the Ethernet cable provided with the router to the computer and to any of the LAN port of the router itself. Connect the modem to the internet port of the Netgear Router.
2. After all the connections are completed, switch the computer, modem, and the router on and off again so that they can finish booting up.
3. Now, open up a web browser and type in www.routerlogin.com or www.routerlogin.net in the address bar. Some of the older routers might need the IP addresses instead. The IP addresses are 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1. Type one in the address bar and press enter. You will be prompted to put in the username and the password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”. The username and password are case sensitive. If the default username and password are not working, you might have changed it to your customized password. You will have to put in the customized password or a factory reset will be needed.
4. Click the Setup Wizard. A display screen will display.
5. The setup will try to detect the type of internet connection that you might have. Select yes and click Next. The setup wizard will now detect the type of internet connection you have. The Setup Wizard will detect Dynamic IP for all the wired connections.
6. Click Next. The router will save the settings.
You will now be connected to your Internet.
Setting up your new Netgear Router through a wireless connection:
If you do not possess a computer when installing a Netgear router, there is nothing to worry about. You can set up your net router through a wireless device too such as a laptop, a Smartphone, or a tablet. But for that, you will have to set up your router and modem to each other and to a power source. Only then you can start configuring your device for the internet connection. Here, we will help you through a step by step process on How To Install Your Netgear Router through a wireless connection:
1. Make all the necessary connections have been made in your router and the modem. Make sure it is connected to a power source. Turn your modem on and wait for the lights to become solid. Turn on your router and wait for the LED’s to become stable.
2. Make sure you have the preset wireless settings of your Netgear router. They are written on the back of the routers.
3. Now, using your wireless device go to the Wi-Fi connection manager and find your Wi-Fi network name and connect to it.
4. It will prompt you to put in the password. Enter the password.
5. Now open any web browser on your wireless device and the Netgear Genie will display. If by any chance the Netgear Genie does not display, then go to the address bar and type in www.routerlogin.com or www.routerlogin.net.
6. Enter the default username and password. The default username is “admin” and the default password is “password”.
7. Follow the Netgear Genie to finish setting up your Router through your wireless device.
Netgear Router installation has become easy through the various installation processes. Anybody can install the router themselves and start using the internet without any hassle. Netgear is one of the leading customer-demanding router distributors and they are constantly trying to make it easy on their customers to use their products.